Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Roller Derby in One Word: Awesome

Roller derby's are basically kick ass. I got my first look at Charlotte's women's roller derby team, the Charlotte Roller Girls, on Sunday and I was so inspired by these very tough and very charismatic women.

They seriously know how to take a hit. Now, being a libero, I know a little something about throwing yourself at the mercy of a cold hard floor. I've had many an affair with hardwood courts all over the country, although the Winthrop Coliseum and I could be said to have a very significant and long term relationship. I have the scars to prove it.

But these ladies were on skates and careening themselves around a concrete track at a very fast pace, alongside 20 other women determined to maintain dominance. Needless to say (though as usual, I'll say it anyway), there was a lot of cheering every time somebody went down. It was just like grade school. Every fight is the coolest thing ever--until the next one.

But I'm a lover, not a fighter. So I'll just give a final shout out to these ladies and say that I'm pretty pumped to be writing an article for Rejuvenate Magazine about them. And that I'm pretty sure I'll be coming to the next home bout in May.

blog comments powered by Disqus