Saturday, March 1, 2008

Orange Cacaochino Ready For Gulping!

March Madness has officially arrived. Today Winthrop plays UNC Asheville for first place in Men's Basketball in the Big South Conference (the NCAA Athletic Conference I work for)--plus it's homecoming at Winthrop so it should be a crazy game! Our Men's Basketball tournament starts next week as well, so it's their last chance to secure the one seed and the chance to host all rounds at their house.

Needless to say--though I guess I will anyway--all the staff at the Big South are going to be working at warp speed through this month. We're going to need a lot of energy to pull everything off, so what better to get us going then some yummy cacao?

Well I couldn't think of anything better, so I set about concocting a refreshing and energizing shake for me to take when we are all running around trying to maintain some semblance of ordered chaos.

The idea popped into my head some time ago for a Raw version of Starbucks Orange Frappachino. I love the combination of orange and chocolate, but I've always been disappointed in their execution of this concept. Their frappachino is heavy and extremely high in calories. I can't have more than a sip without my stomach rejecting the extreme sweetness.

My version not only gives you a kick of refreshing energy and nutrients from the cacao, but it has protein and good fats from almond milk and also vitamin C from the whole oranges used in it.

I find this seemingly sinful treat to be a really energizing way to start this beautiful spring day here in Charlotte. The sun finally has some warmth behind its rays and I have been basking in it all morning.

Here is the recipe for your enjoyment. You'll notice that I'm not exactly a precise "chef." I prefer to go along and make things to taste. Use your own best judgement and go with your instincts about what your body wants.

ORANGE CACAOCHINO

Make a batch of almond milk. I use Ani Phyo's recipe for vanilla milk:

1/2 cup of almonds
1/2 cup of pitted dates (or 2 tablespoons-ish of raw agave)
1 vanilla bean (or 2 teaspoons-ish of alcohol-free vanilla)
Dash of sea salt to taste
* Good sized pinch of cinnamon
* 3 Cups water

*Here's where I change up her recipe a bit for this particular use of the milk. I like to put cinnamon in my almond milk, so I add a good sized pinch. I also lower her recommendation of 5 cups water to 3 cups. This is to keep the consistency of the smoothie thick.

Next grind up some Cacao nibs. I use my coffee grinder for this and it works extremely well. Grinds it into a fine powder just like it would espresso. I start with about a half a cup of nibs and then add more if I feel like it needs it. It depends on how chocolaty you want this to be, so add to your taste.

Finally peel 2 oranges and add to the mixture. I like to leave some of the pith on for nutritional value, but not too much because it can leave a bitter residual taste in the drink--never a good thing!

Now, BLEND TO YOUR HEART'S CONTENT!!! And serve in a lovely high ball glass for all your friends and family (and of course YOU) to enjoy!

Note: If you don't like your smoothies grainy, strain using a colander. I don't like to use the nut milk bag, because it takes away some of the thickness. I used a mesh strainer and capture the large pieces of pulp and nut grinds for later use in brownies or whatever. You can also add crushed ice post straining if it's really hot where you are to add a zesty chill to the mix!

Hope you all enjoy this delicious treat! Let me know how it goes for you and any creative adaptations you make!

blog comments powered by Disqus