Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Who do you think you are, Mr. Big Stuff?

I promised a happier post and hopefully I can make good on it. My mood today is, well, much better than before the weekend. Not because the Giants won the Super Bowl or because it's Super Tuesday (though I am pretty excited to see the the complete results when I wake up tomorrow), but because I was able to manifest through some rough stressful patches this afternoon with no caffeine and the simple mantra of, "get over yourself." 


I've been using this mantra for a while now. I can't remember where I picked it up, but it's really quite useful. This is a selfish world we live in, isn't it? It's all about ME l I l YOU. Not enough focus on us. I get so frustrated with people who go about their lives not caring about how their decisions affect everyone else. There is a time and place for those kind of decisions, but that doesn't mean it should be all about me 24/7. We've seen how that goes. Exhibit A: Paris Hilton. I rest my case. 

None of us are perfect. I think most would say they get pulled into their own problems more than they should at times. When I feel unmotivated or whiney I have to give myself a kick in the ass to remember that I live in a interconnected world and that my slacking could make somebody else's life that much harder. 

GET OVER YOURSELF LITTLE GIRL!!! 

There are so many things we cannot control for ourselves in life, and yet our actions constantly make direct impacts on others. My goal is to make that impact positive, whether we are talking about the environment, my office, my relationships or my politics. And I will keep working to get over myself and into each other. I hope you will too. This is the kind of theory that works like degrees of separation, except it's degrees of positive connectivity. We are all so much closer than we think! 

Was that a positive enough message? I feel like it kind of had a silver lining around it. Alright it wasn't manic, but since it also wasn't depressive, I'll just have to live with the fact that, at least for today, I managed to get over myself in a big way. 

blog comments powered by Disqus