Sunday, June 3, 2007

Round One of The NH Presidential Debates Doesn't Disappoint

Whew. I’m worn out from the two hours I just spent trying to watch to the New Hampshire Democratic Presidential Debate AND pay attention to the media and blogger commentary online. For once in my life I was begging for a commercial break.

The wait was worth it. The only critique I can offer concerns inequity of time each candidate received to use his or her voice. Still, it was overall the best presidential debate I’ve seen in my young life (the first I can remember being the 1992 debates that I watched with my dad). Elizabeth Edwards said quite eloquently to Larry King that the American people finally got the give and take interaction and honest answers about policy that they are deserving of. Also noted was that the audience questions were a great touch of democracy to the whole process. I couldn’t agree more and that’s what brings me to the topic I’d like to throw out to the wolves. We, of course, heard about Iraq and Iran, immigration, oil prices, the deficit and health care. But something that peaked my own interest—as a college-age voter—was a question posed by a young man about mandatory service in the armed forces.

The candidate response was interesting to say the least. None of the candidates seemed keen on reinstating the draft or on requiring mandatory service, but both Chris Dodd and Mike Gravel commented that using service in the armed forces and community service organizations could be a catalyst for a two-way relationship between college students and the U.S. Government in terms of financing higher education.

Mike Gravel proposed that every year of service in organizations like the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps or in a branch of the armed services could bring fours years of paid education. This started a conversation that touched on the struggle middle-class families are facing in financing college educations deemed so necessary for success these days, on the scandals involving student loan providers and the rising price vs. the quality of state education.

I really liked the values that Chris Dodd put forth about the fleecing of American families in the education racket and some creative ways to finance higher education while at the same time getting the so-called “Generation Entitlement” to earn the privilege of an American college degree through service to others.

Though it could be called minor, this issue really hit home for me. The preparation of future generations directly contributes to the quality of this nation. We can’t expect to get something out of nothing in terms of a skilled and educated labor force. Education has been at the core of American values since the days of the American Revolution and if we want to re-build upon the strengths of American values then we must re-invest in our youth.

But what do the other bloggers think? What issue hit home for you and who answered to it best? Readers: Don’t hold those comments back! If we want to have a real discussion about the future of this nation, we need debate and dissent!

blog comments powered by Disqus