Tuesday, April 1, 2008

WAHT A WEEK: MONEY TALKS, WALK SCORE AND CAROLINA CUP

April Updates and Musings...

1) EXTRA EXTRA: I'm adding a subscription button to the STUDIO 1:000 site, so please subscribe and keep up with us!

2) INSPIRATION IN THE WORKS: Pangea Day is May 10 (more to come on this) and I am in the beginning stages of planning an event for the Charlotte area. For those of you here in the Queen City with us, please stay tuned and make plans to spend the day with an inspired group of people ready to change our world for the better!

3) MONEY TALKS: The New York City Council has voted to put in place a Congestion Tax, which will charge drivers going in between boroughs for their choice to commute. A bummer for those already commuting, but a necessary policy in this little girl's opinion. Higher gas prices haven't yet stopped the carbon hemorrhaging in our country and the only way, it would seem, to get people out of fuel inefficient cars and into public transit is to make it less and less affordable to drive. I can't help but wonder if a similar policy in driving-heavy cities like Atlanta and Charlotte would do to improve their resident's quality of life...I know I would definitely be down for some better public transit for my commute. $50 for a unlimited pass? Or $50+ each time I fill up? Doesn't seem like a hard choice when you put it that way!

4) HORSES AT CAROLINA CUP?: I saw no horses this year, but hopefully I'll have pictures to post and stories to tell from last weekend's escapades. Whew, what a doozy! Thank God we had Daddy Doug and Jeannie to feed us and keep us out of the rain. You'd have thought we were in Oregon with the 50 Degree windy drizzle that was entirely UNWELCOME by the crowd.

5) Check out you "walk score" at their nifty website. They calculate how walkable your home is from all the places you'd want to go nearby. Mine was 40, though I proved all the amenities of Uptown are closer than one thinks from our house on the edge of it. Remember, no more driving on the weekend! If I can do it in NASCAR country, so can you!

blog comments powered by Disqus