Friday, January 4, 2008

Fast As You Can = 20 Days 18 Hours and some change

Well. I ran 15 miles on a treadmill for two hours on New Year’s Eve—but I made it. 150 in 20 days. Number 45 out of 765 and only one of 50 who actually finished.

Definitely more running than I’ve ever done in my life, college pre-seasons included.

And you know what?

I’m addicted.

After four very intense years in a high level Division I volleyball program, I found myself so burnt out on working out. I knew that I loved it. I craved that feeling you get after you’ve pushed yourself to a new level. But I couldn’t bring myself to do anything more than go through the motions.

It was, in truth, monumentally depressing to my spirit and my identity as an athlete seemed to be slipping away.

Moral of Story: Sometimes you click a mouse and get yourself into something that you didn’t pause to think through. IDIOT! SO STUPID! WHY! And then you realize the kicking your ass is going to get from that decision is exactly what you needed and you thank God, Elvis and Gandhi for your burst of impulsivity.

I’ve always said that I am too ambitious for my own good, but in this isolated case I think I will count that as a strength rather than a weakness of character.

blog comments powered by Disqus