Friday, October 26, 2007

Double Agent's can be loyal too!

It's official. I am no longer an Oregonian. After four hours of waiting at the DMV (LONG STORY) and three hydroplanes--in very Oregon-like driving conditions-- later, I am now a licensed driver, registered Democrat and organ donor in the state of North Carolina. I got 100% on my test--which I think was the shortest portion of my experience at the East Independence Department of Motor Vehicles Offices.

And though I am relieved to no longer be in possession of a "valid without photo" Oregon ID, I am quite remorse that I had to leave that piece of my Identity behind. I can now get into bars and on airplanes without harassment, but I won't get those little moments of wonderment with random strangers when they look and see I'm from a state that is 3000 miles and world of culture away. I love Charlotte and have been quite happy here, but I still have this nagging feeling that I've somehow betrayed my steadfast liberal roots and all the S.N.O.Bs. I wonder why the hell I've stuck around an environment full of people who think I'm crazy because I believe everybody should have access to health care or that recycling is worth the effort of putting that Coke can in a little red box rather than the big blue one.

I love where I'm at. I love the challenges and the experiences and my people here. But some days I wake up and it's raining just like it does down the I-5 corridor. And I'll be damned if I don't spend the day just wanting to go home.

blog comments powered by Disqus